Please note: you may save and close your application at any time before submitting. Once you submit your application, you may no longer make changes to your application. This includes attaching essays, videos, or audio files.
The submission deadline is Monday, December 31st, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EST.
Please visit the Kennedy Center website for application information and instructions.
Guidelines for Nominees:
- Nominees must be legal residents of the United States. Nominees for posthumous awards must have legal residents of the United States
-Nominees must teach or have taught in a K-12 school, or college, or university in the United States.
-Teachers of all grade levels and subject areas are eligible.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Kennedy Center audio describer! Applications for describers are collected and reviewed on a rolling basis. Please carefully review the application and job description prior to submitting your materials. You are welcome to contact the Kennedy Center Accessibility Office with any questions or concerns at 202-416-8727 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the Kennedy Center schedules a number of performances with audio-description and takes requests to add description through the season. There is an on-call nature of being on an audio description team.
Only visual art will be accepted.
Art must be an original work that has been completed within the last year and attributable to the artist or artists.
- 2-D pieces only. Examples include: painting, drawing (charcoal, pen & ink, graphite/ colored pencil, marker, etc.), oil or chalk pastel, mixed media/collage, photography (digital or darkroom)
- 2-D photographs of 3-D work accepted
Artwork on must be one of the following standard sizes:
- 8 in x 10 in (standard for: canvas, photographs)
- 9 in x 12 in (standard for: canvas, construction/drawing paper)
- 11 in x 14 in (standard for: canvas, photographs)
- 12 in x 18 in (standard for: construction/drawing paper)
- 18 in x 24 in (standard for: canvas, construction/drawing paper)
- Submitted paper-based artwork will be matted and framed by VSA
- Submitted canvases must be canvas board or stretched canvas, and may or may not be framed by VSA
Applicants must submit their artwork electronically. By submitting artwork, applicants acknowledge that their artwork may be displayed on an online gallery of artwork and may be selected to be part of the exhibition in Washington, D.C. Any artwork selected for physical display shall become the property of VSA and the Kennedy Center, and may not be returned to the artist.
No slides or hard copy materials will be accepted for this call for entry. Photographs of three-dimensional works are permitted. Applicants must allow enough time to prepare their images to the specifications and finalize the electronic submission process prior to the midnight (EST) deadline of June 6, 2018.
VSA and the Kennedy Center are not responsible for submissions that are incomplete or that fail to upload.
Art selection will be at the discretion of VSA and based on their evaluation of the artwork submitted.
The artist's guardian agrees to allow VSA the right to use their submission for public relations purposes, including broadcast, print, and electronic media.